Taiwan Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be relaxing visa rules for visitors from countries covered by the New Southbound Policy starting June 1st 2017.
1. The visa exemption trial program for nationals of Thailand and Brunei will be extended to July 31, 2018.
2. Nationals of Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, the Philippines, and Vietnam who possess an entry visa or alien resident certificate issued by the Taiwan at any point in the past 10 years and have no record of immigration irregularities or law violations in Taiwan are eligible to apply online for an Taiwan Travel Authorization Certificate.
This excludes holders of entry visas bearing the remark FL (i.e., foreign labourer) or X (i.e., others), as well as holders of alien resident certificates with stated purpose of residence being foreign labourer.
Those who meet relevant criteria may apply online at no cost for a multiple-entry visa that is valid for three months and allows for a maximum stay of 30 days.
3. Citizens of Sri Lanka and Bhutan will be eligible for following visas from June 1st 2017:
a) Tourist visas: Nationals of Bhutan and Sri Lanka are now eligible for Taiwan tourist visas.
b) Business visas: Nationals of Bhutan and Sri Lanka may apply Taiwan one-year multiple-entry visa business visa applications without the letter of Taiwan Company’s guarantee.
c) Meanwhile, existing regulations will continue to apply, and as before, visa applications for the purpose of studying Mandarin in Taiwan are not accepted.
4. Taiwan government has extended the eVisa scheme as of June 1st 2017 to include businesspeople from Iran and the six South Asian nations of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka.
To be eligible for an eVisa, business people from these countries must be recommended by a local office of the Taiwan External Trade Development Council (TAITRA) and approved by the Bureau of Consular Affairs. They are then given an eCode to apply online for an eVisa through a designated website
5. A visa exemption trial program for the Philippines national will be announced in Sep 2017.